Aerial view from the south
The present mill building was built in 1810 on a previous 16th century mill site on the River Vyrnwy, six miles north of Welshpool.
Only half of the original mill building is still standing today. It was built as a double mill under one roof but half of the building collapsed in 1847 after an earlier disastrous fire. The internal waterwheel is undershot, and mostly of wood with iron rims. A large cast iron pit wheel drove a wallower on a vertical wooden shaft. The cast iron spur wheel with wooden cogs drove two pairs of millstones. A large cast iron crown wheel drove a threshing machine, flour dresser and sack hoist.
Although re-roofed and dry, the mill still needs considerable restoration.
Remains of Internal Machinery
The Mill is not normally open to the public but visitors are welcome by phoning in advance – 01938 500827