Llanyrafon Mill, Cwmbran, Torfaen

Since at least 1632 there has been a working Mill on the site, although some academics believe that a mill existed here long before that. It developed into a 3 storey, 3 stoned working flour mill  with overshot wheel until 1953, when it closed and was compulsorily purchased by Cwmbran Development Corporation. For over 40 years after closure, the Mill had a chequered history of neglect, fire,  vandalism and few repairs.  Since the late nineties, with support from the present owners, Torfaen County Borough Council, a community group, The Friends of Llanyrafon Mill, has  worked hard to  keep the building stable while interpreting its history with displays of artefacts and models.

The Friends, with support from the owners of the Mill, put in an application to The National Lottery for funding to return the Mill to a working tourist attraction. We were told it was a project the Lottery would support, but advised that the application should come from the owners, Torfaen County Borough Council, rather than a small community group. Since then council funds have been needed elsewhere and match funding is unavailable.  However, the Mill still attracts visitors, including groups of industrial archaeologists, Mill enthusiasts and school group as well as the general public. There are no set opening times. People just drop in if they see someone working there or make an appointment either by email to Marion at marmill@marmill321.plus.com or Nigel at nigeljones@ntlworld.com  or by telephone to 01633 482780   Come and see us. You’ll be made very welcome.

Llanyrafon Mill – Home | Facebook