- Two meetings, in Spring and Autumn, in different parts of Wales and the Borders, with lectures and visits to mills not normally open to the public.
- Occasional trips to study mills outside Wales. Recent visits include Ireland, Dorset, the Isle of Man and Somerset.
- A quarterly newsletter with news and information.
- A journal, Melin, normally published annually, with detailed studies of mills and related subjects.
- Occasional Forum meetings, primarily for mill owners and operators, but all members welcome, to discuss issues and share experience and solutions.
- Access to help and guidance about all aspects of mills and milling, whether for research or ownership.
- Help and advice on finding mill properties for sale and locating mill equipment, parts or services.
- Practical assistance and help in maintaining or restoring a mill from our team of volunteer workers; the Mucky Mills Gang.
- The opportunity to join the Mucky Mills Gang and get involved in practical projects such as leat clearing and restoring machinery.
- Access to our small Mills Restoration Fund, which can also be helpful when applying for larger grants elsewhere.
- The opportunity to become involved in projects to record mills, such as locating and listing farm waterwheels and recording local milling terms.
- Occasional training events, including maintaining and working a corn mill, and current recording techniques.
- Last, but not least, the opportunity to share experience and knowledge with other members of the Society, in person at our meetings and through our Facebook and website pages.
If you would like to join the Welsh Mills Society please print out and complete the Membership application form and send it with a cheque or postal order (please do not send cash through the post), payable to the Welsh Mills Society, to:
The Membership Secretary, Welsh Mills Society
Coed Trewernau Mill, Abbeycwmhir, Llandrindod Wells, Powys, LD1 6PG
The current rates of membership are:
Individual / Family Membership: £20.00 per annum
Corporate Membership: £30.00 per annum
The subscription year runs from 01 November to 31 October.
If you would like to pay by Standing Order through your bank, please contact the membership secretary for details either by post (address above) or email (Brian . Malaws @ btinternet.com) (please remove spaces to use this address)