Pant-yr-Ynn Mill, Bethania, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Gwynedd, LL41 3LZ.
It is the earliest surviving slate mill of Diffwys Quarry, which pioneered the great slate industry of Blaenau Ffestiniog. It became a woollen mill in 1881, and closed in 1964, when the machinery was scrapped. The 24 foot waterwheel was restored, and now houses an exhibition of relics and watercolour drawings by resident artist, Falcon Hildred.
Location – Grid reference – SH 709 454 – Off A470 at Bethania , up a no through road towards slate tips, Mill is ¼ mile on right, beside waterfall.
National Mills Weekend opening – Not open for 2016
Contact – Falcon Hildred 01766 830540. Ring first to avoid disappointment.
Llynon Windmill, Llanddeusant, Holyhead, Anglesey, LL65 4AB
Built in 1775, in operation until storm damaged in 1918, but now restored as the only working windmill in Wales, producing wholemeal flour from organic wheat.
Location – Follow brown signs.
National Mills Weekend opening – Saturday and Sunday 10.30 – 16.30
Contact – 01407 – 730407
National Slate Museum, Llanberis, LL55 4TY
A 50ft waterwheel built in Caernarfon in 1870 which turns again, is part of the restored foundry and workshops complex, and quarrymens’ houses. |Slate splitting demonstrations .
Café and shop .
Location – Grid reference SH 586 603 . Off A4086 at Llanberis . Follow signs to Llyn Padarn Country Park.
Opening times – daily 10.00 – 16.00 (summer 17.00 ) except 25/26 December and 1 January.
National Mills Weekend – Saturday and Sunday 10.00 – 17.00
Last admission – 1 hour before closing, but recommend at least 2 hours before closing.
Contact – 01268-870630 or 0300-1112333 www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/slate
Trefriw Woollen Mills, Conwy Valley LL27 ONQ
Originally the site of a water-powered fulling mill, or pandy, the present building dates from the 1960s. The machinery is powered by a Boving hydro-electic turbine dating from the 1940s. Traditional methods of production are used for Welsh bedspreads, tweeds and travelling rugs. Museum of carding engines, mules, etcLocation In centre of Trefriw, on B5106 Betws-y-Coed to Conwy road, about 5 miles N of Betws-y-Coed. Grid reference: SH 780 631
National Mills Weekend opening times – Saturday & Sunday, 10.00-17.00 Contact – Elaine Williams, tel. 01492 640462.
Felin-Rhyd-Hir, Efailnewydd, Pwllheli, LL53 8TN
Location – Grid reference: SH 345 358 On B4415, half a mile to W of Efailnewydd.
Felin-Rhyd-Hir is a two-story, stone built water-powered corn mill under a pitched slated roof. The composite overshot waterwheel remains in place on the north west gable wall end, and there are two pairs of millstones which we hope to be able to work in future.
The mill was supplied by a pond to the north of the mill, fed from the Afon Rhyd-Hir via a 1.7 km long leat which also captured the tailrace water from Melin Llannor. The Priest family are currently undertaking a large restoration project to return the site to full working order.
National Mills Weekend opening times – Not open for 2016
Contact – Adrian & Carol Priest, tel. 07715 34105707715 341057