St Fagans Museum of Welsh Life , near Cardiff.
A museum site containing , a relocated gorse mill, woollen mill, tannery , sawmill, were water powered on their original sites. The corn mill with a waterwheel operated by re-circulated water.
Location: Grid reference ST 110 770. Off junction 33 of M4, West of Cardiff, follow brown signs.
National Mills Weekend – open Sat / Sun 10.00 – 17.00 Free admission. Car park £3.50
Contact – 02920 573500 www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/stfagans
Y Felin Ddwr, Parkmill and Craft Centre , Gower, Swansea, SA3 3EM
A corn mill and farm complex retaining waterwheel and machinery, currently operating as a heritage and craft centre.
Location – Grid reference – SS 534 893
National Mills Weekend opening – Saturday 10.00 – 17.30 Sunday – 10.00 – 17.30
Contact – Sarah, 01792 371206 www.gowerheritagecentre.co.uk
Pontrhydycyff Mill, Langynwyd, Maesteg, Nr Bridgend, Glamorgan
A flour mill dating to circa 1780, with an overshot wheel turning some machinery. 2 pairs of millstones, not in use at present. Hydro power scheme in operation (water permitting ).
Location: Grid reference SS 873 892 From the S, turn right off the A4063 at Llangynwyd, turn left at Tylers Arms, first left down lane into mill.
National Mills Weekend opening – Not open for 2017 Mill currently for sale.
Contact John or Rhian on 01656 – 731929 or 07429 637068
Aberdulais Tin Works & Waterfall, Neath SA10 8EU
Location: Grid reference SS 771 994
OS Sheet: 170 At Aberdulais on A4109, about 3 miles NE of Neath.
This steep gorge is the site of an early tinplate works. Now contains what is claimed to be the largest water wheel in Europe generating electricity, together with a water turbine driving another generator. Owned by the National Trust .
Location – Grid reference SS 771994 At Aberdulais, on A4109, about 3 miles NE of Neath.
National Mills Weekend opening – Saturday and Sunday – 10.30 – 16.30
Entry fee if not National Trust member.
Contact – 01639-636674 firstname.lastname@example.org
Mathern Mill, Mathern, Chepstow, Monmouthshire, NP16 6LG
A corn mill whose existence can be traced back to at least the 17th century. Although milling ceased in 1968 much of the Victorian machinery remains intact. There are 4 pairs of millstones and a brick built engine house which housed a steam engine to supplement the water supply. The mill is unrestored and only the ground floor will be open to visitors.
Location: Grid reference ST515916 – On entering Mathern village from A48, turn right at the war memorial and follow lane for 400yds.
National Mills Weekend opening – Saturday 14.00 – 17.00 , Sunday 14.00 – 17.00
Contact Dave & Jan Bowen 01291- 622282
Llanyrafon Watermilll, Cwmbran , NP44 8HP
A 3-storey stone-built mill, which worked until 1951, and was damaged by fire subsequently. Now owned by Torfaen Council and under restoration by the Friends of Llanyrafon Mill, when funding permits. Has iron machinery and a small overshot waterwheel
Location: Grid reference ST303946 In Llanyrafon Way, Cwmbran, Torfaen. Leave A4042 at Crown roundabout towards Cwmbran, on Llanfrechfa Way. Take 4th on right , then immediately left on to tarmac path to social club & mill car park.
National Mills Weekend opening – Saturday and Sunday 14.00 – 16.00
Cwmbran and District Amateur Radio Association will be in attendance, on air to other mills and anyone else who wishes to join in. Free admission.
At other times – Bank Holiday Mondays – 14.00 – 17.00 or by appointment.
Contact – Mrs Marion Davies, tel. 01633 482780.
Email – email@example.com
Web site- www.welshmills.org.uk/llanyrafon.m0.html