Blaenau Ffestiniog, Gwynedd, LL41 3LZ
The mill’s origins are unknown, but from 1846 to 1865 it was used for dressing slabs from Diffwys Quarry, which pioneered the Blaenau Ffestiniog slate industry. It may therefore be the earliest surviving slate mill in Blaenau Ffestiniog. It is listed Grade II. It then became a school for seven years. Then from 1873 to 1964 was operated as a woollen mill along with Moelwyn Mill at Tanygrisiau, by Jacob Jones & Son. Since 1969 it has, until recently, been the home and workplace of artist and industrial archaeologist Falcon Hildred. The earliest part of the mill is preserved as it was when it closed and the machinery removed, but with the overhead transmission shafting and the 24 foot waterwheel (not working) still in place. The mill now houses a display of over one hundred of Falcon’s watercolour drawings, including the historic town quarries and industrial landscape of Blaenau Ffestiniog, together with his designs for the town’s future. There are also many industrial heritage relics on display. Open from May 1st to the end of October, anytime including evenings and weekends but it is recommended that visitors telephone first to avoid disappointment.
Telephone Carole Shearman: 0777 921 0681 Admission £3.00