Carew Castle, Nr. Tenby, Pembs, SA70 8SL.
Carew’s mill is the only restored tidal mill in Wales and one of just five in the UK.The precise origin of Carew Mill is uncertain. It is possible that a mill worked by a leat running from the Carew River pre-dated the building of the causeway which retains the huge tidal millpond. Documentary evidence indicates a mill of some kind existed as early as 1542. Records show that in 1558 John Bartlett leased the mill for the sum of 10 sovereigns per annum.
The National Park Authority acquired the lease of the mill in 1984 and has continued with restoration and improvement work, including the provision of the reception area and audio-visual facilities. It is hoped that the south wheel will at least be able to turn some of the auxiliary machinery on a regular basis in the future.